Currently, you can decide who to share a facebook status update with based on the following selections:
- Public (meaning everyone can see it)
- Share it with your facebook friends only
- Or a custom selection, such as:
- Share with friends AND friends of friends
- Specific people (name who to share with among your friends)
- You can also name to hide a post from certain people
These are obviously useful selections. Sometimes you can decide to post something only to a few people; or hide a post from someone else (i.e. your mom).
However the ability to share a post with a list is still not there.
As you know you can put your facebook friends into different lists (i.e. family, classmates, coworkers etc. etc.) and "listen to" a particular list when you choose to; but cannot post a status update that goes to the members of a particular list as of yet. Google+ Circles has still that advantage on facebook.
There is no doubt facebook will allow the function of sharing with lists; it's not a matter of if, it's a matter of when. And in this case the sooner is the better.